The Butts County School System held its annual Opening of School Celebration for teachers and staff on Monday, Aug. 2. The Jackson High Red Regiment Band and the Jackson High and Henderson Middle School cheerleaders led off the celebration, followed by the JHS NJROTC color guard presenting the colors and Lincoln Sears, the 2020-2021 spelling bee champion, leading the Pledge of Allegiance. Several awards were handed out, including the New Partners in Education, The Dr. Melinda Ellis Legacy Award for 2021, the Blue Ribbon Instructional Excellence Award, and the 2020-2021 Support Person of the Year Award. The 2021-2022 Teacher of the Year nominees for each school were also named. Finally, the teachers and staff were encouraged by former educator and now education coach Jimmy Casas to remember why they wanted to be in education and the way they felt during their interview for their jobs and to improve themselves and their students by maintaining the high standards they set for themselves.
I have worked for community newspapers in Butts, Henry, Newton, Rockdale, and Upson counties for 30 years. I was Editor of the Jackson Progress-Argus from 1993-1999, and returned to the Progress-Argus as Senior Reporter in 2019.
As featured on
- Don’t be bugged by insects seeing the light
- Thousands of healthcare workers suspended in France after failing to get vaccinated
- 5 things to know for September 16: Covid-19, law enforcement, Nassar, US debt, China
- Bud Light's newest beer has zero carbs
- Nearly 5 million people are under flash flood watches as Nicholas hovers over the Gulf region