Jackson United Methodist Church recently paid tribute to the woman known as the mother of Methodism in Butts County.
Church officials on June 2 dedicated a memorial marker to Mary Buttrill, who hosted the first Methodist worship services in Jackson after arriving with her family in 1817. In 1818, she had a log cabin built to hold worship services near the entrance of what is now the Jackson City Cemetery.
Buttrill died in 1830 and is buried in the Old Bethel Cemetery, three miles north of Jackson.
Jackson Methodist Church was founded in 1826, the year the city of Jackson was chartered and the town was laid out. Jackson United Methodist Church’s current location was acquired in 1845 and the first building on the site was constructed in 1846.